Sunday, July 18, 2010

Raspberry Sorbet

It's here...the most delicious time of the year....raspberry season. Some people think that growing raspberries is a bad idea, that the suckers will take over and start growing everywhere. They would be right about the latter, but since when is that a bad thing? We love raspberries and from our three humble rows we grow enough to fill our freezer with goodies for the winter, make jam and still be able to share with our friends.
So before I fill my freezer with this years harvest I though I had better use up my last bag from the summer before.
My pal Kerry recently dropped off some magazines and in a Martha magazine I found this little gem. The reason I love is so much is because it uses frozen fruit, which means the sorbet is already partially frozen when you start and is ready in a shorter time. Perfect for an impromptu dinner. The color alone makes this dessert worthwhile.



Raspberry Sorbet with fresh whipped cream. ( I did not do the cream part).

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
# cups frozen raspberries
1/2 cup heavy cream

1. Stir together water and 1/4 cup sugar until sugar dissolves.
2. Pulse berries in food processor until coarsely chopped. With machine running, pour in sugar water; pulse until mixture is smooth. Transfer to an air tight container, and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
3. Whisk cream and remaining sugar until soft forms peak.
4. Scoop sorbet into 4 glasses and top with whipped cream.

TAKE 2
 I made a double batch with this recipe and substituted the sugar water mixture for lychee juice. Just enough for the sorbet to blend nicely. It did take a little longer to freeze but boy oh boy was it good.
This recipe is a keeper.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...