Friday, September 3, 2010

High Altitude Pavlova

I was recently at the local farmers market enjoying all the wonderful local produce and people watching with the kiddies, so sad that market season is almost over and yet again I have not been making the most of it.
The one new addition I noticed and was over the moon, crazy excited about was the aussie meat pie vendor. I was so happy about it, in fact my husband asked me if I "hooked up" with the meat pie man as I was raving about it so much when he got home.......MEN!!!!

At $5 per pie all my aussie readers are more than likely going to tell I was ripped off but seriously, YOU try going years without a good meat pie and see what effect it has on you. I think I would have paid double that for just one bite, this guys recipe was bang on.

My accent may have faded but my love of Vegemite and a good pie never will!

Seeing as that pie is still lingering on my taste buds I thought I'd post a recipe for another of my aussie favourites, however, in doing so may never be invited to another party as all of my friends will have my recipe.
Pavlova was one of those things I found difficult to make here in Canada, I believe its an altitude problem as there are so many eggs. So I stumbled across this recipe one day and have been using it ever since.
If any of my aussie friends try it I would love to know how it turns out for you.

ELIZABETH MANNING'S NEVER FAIL PAVLOVA - By Catherine Manning

6 egg whites
2 cups sugar
4 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch in the US)
6 tbsp boiling water
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp vinegar (white)

Put all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 15 - 20 minutes or until very stiff. When you pull the beaters out, the mixture should stand up in stiff peaks. (I find at altitude, I usually have to beat the mixture for 30 minutes or more.)


Pile on to baking paper on an oven tray. You can also use aluminium foil on the baking tray. Lightly dust with cornflour so the pav won't stick. Pile it up high and do not spread out, as the pav will spread while cooking. Use a fork to mark ridges up the side.


Put in the middle of a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 250 deg F. Cook for 2 hours. Turn oven off and leave the pav in the oven, with door closed, overnight or until the oven is cold. This takes at least 6 - 8 hours. (Do not open the oven at any point during the cooking or cooling. Not even a quick peak!! This may cause the pav to fall.)
Kinda like this........my oven light was broken so I had to peek, but it still tastes the same!!


Cut around the top of the pav with a sharp knife and allow the top to drop into the pav. This forms a shell for the cream. Fill with whipped cream (NOT THE TYPE IN THE AEROSOL CAN) and decorate with fruit or topping of your choice.


I used a we little can of passion fruit that my friends and relatives bring me on their visits, I treat it like liquid gold as you can't find it here. And a grated up Skor bar. odd combo, next time I would use one or the other but not both, it was a little sweet.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, looks amazing...mmmm Im going to have to make one soon! I have another great recipe I will send you for a pav type thing with hazlenut meal in it, divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best Pavlova ever. I have just popped one in the oven for New Year's dinner tomorrow. I used this recipe in Wyoming at 7200 ft. and it was spectacular. It works equally well in low and flat Manitoba, Canada. I fill mine with strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries and top with a vanilla yoghurt /whipped cream mixture.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad it works for you Heather, and your topping sounds delish. Nothing wows a crowd like a pavolva, I hope your guests enjoyed it.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...