Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Accidental vegetarian portabello pizza

After a long day in Kelowna, I wanted a quick and easy dinner for myself and my munchkins. They wanted pasta- done. I am not partaking in carb consumption at the moment so I tried my hand at a recipe idea I had seen online somewhere. Portabello pizza, no, it is not pizza with mushrooms...it is a mushroom masquerading AS pizza.
I forgot to take pics during prep so here's the after.....


.....bubbly, cheesy yumminess. I was quite pleasantly surprised that I didn't feel like I was getting ripped off by not having a yeasty doughy base.

So, if you're feeling brave:

Accidental Vegetarian Portabello pizza.

2 Portabello mushroom tops
1-2 tablespoon of passata DI pomodoro ( strained tomato's)
any veg you like, I used yellow peppers, red onion, jalapeno peppers.
any cheese you like.

Flip your mushroom upside down and remove the stem. Place on baking sheet upside down and spoon on your passata.
Add any topping of choice, followed by cheese.
Bake in 350C over until cheese is bubbly and mushroom is beginning to release some liquid. You want to make sure your mushroom is cooked through otherwise I imagine it could be quite chewy. icky!!
I think I cooked mine for about 15 minutes...not much longer than a cheap frozen pizza!!!!!

You could use this basic recipe and try many other variations, like pesto, a garlicky cream sauce and , of course, MEAT. The possibilities are endless.

Let me know if any of you try it, I would love to hear of some new flavour combinations!
Tootles,
kj



1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...