Monday, September 12, 2011

Goodies from the greenhouse

The hubby worked his butt off this spring to build us the cutest little greenhouse on the block, complete with glass french doors and little glass windows. I was also the recipient of some cedar raised beds for mother's day this year, just in time for planting the beets and carrots. I am now a greenhouse/hot house LOVER.
Check out this pic from spring.....so orderly and cute!!!


And this pic from yesterday.....it's like a jungle in there.


We have a small deer and bear issue in our neck of the woods which can make veggie gardening a bit frustrating, I don't mind sharing the fruits of our labour with the wild life, I just don't appreciate the mass destruction that follows after they have had a snack.
So the greenhouse has not only sped up the growing process but kept our precious tomatoes safe from harm.

Last night I whipped up a quick side dish with some of our delish tomatoes.

I call it tomato pie, it's not really a pie but I remember my mom making something similar when I was a kid.
This is my take on her dish using lots of yummy seasonal stuff from our garden.

In a baking dish; roughly chop fresh tomatoes, onion, basil, garlic and toss in olive oil, parmigiano reggiano, salt and pepper.
Check out this bad boy from our garden, I just sliced him into little garlic discs...soooo good.


Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.


Then in a bowl cube some day old or crusty bread (I used plain old ancient grain sliced bread), toss with some olive oil and spread onto veggies. Grate some more cheese on top and bake in 350c oven until bread is toasty crunchy and tomatoes are mushy!! (like my vast knowledge of cooking terminology???)



I forgot to take a post oven pic but in reality it looks a lot like the pic above just steamier and crunchy browned!! K, I need to stop talking!!

Happy harvesting y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...